The Bear's Den - Alberta Provincial Court South Region - COURT CLOSURES
The Provincial Court of Alberta's COVID-19 Pandemic Response Plan includes Court Closures in the South Region.
Please monitor the Provincial Court Website for up to date information Click Here
NCSA has been notified of the following:
1. Circuit Courthouses Closed until further notice:
• Pincher Creek
• Fort Macleod
All of Brooks matters are being dealt with in Medicine Hat and all matters from Pincher Creek, Fort Macleod, Cardston and Taber are being dealt with in Lethbridge.
2. All out of custody matters have or will be adjourned pursuant to the Alberta Provincial Court notice:
• All matters at the Case Management Office (CMO)
• All out of custody docket matters
• All out of custody trials; and all seized matters
3. Matters will be adjourned 10 weeks from the date currently set to return to a docket day at the courthouse from which they arose. If there is not a docket day exactly 10 weeks from the date of the appearance then it shall be adjourned to the first docket day after the 10-week period. There is no need for counsel to attend for these presumptive adjournments. No warrants will be issued.
Lethbridge Courthouse: Courtroom #1 will be open everyday commencing at 9:30 a.m. Domestic Violence matters normally conducted in Courtroom #7 on Fridays will be heard in Courtroom #1.
Medicine Hat Courthouse: Courtroom #9 will be open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for docket sittings.
Lethbridge will continue to hold a youth docket court each second and fourth Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. in courtroom #1 not in court room #7.
Medicine Hat will continue to hold a youth docket court on Monday’s in the afternoon.
As with other Criminal Code adult matters all youth matters will be presumptively adjourned for 10 weeks except in custody matters or urgent matters.
Family and Child Enhancement Matters
All Family and Child Enhancement matters scheduled to be heard by way of trial and other hearing are presently being reviewed by a Judge and counsel will be given notice with respect to whether their matters are adjourned.
There will still be a Family and Child docket each Thursday commencing at 9:30 a.m. and a Child Protection docket each Thursday commencing 2:00p.m.
This docket is only for the purpose of hearing truly urgent matters or to make orders with respect to statutorily mandated matters where statutorily mandated time limits apply.These include:
• Matters with statutory limitations or deadlines;
• Where there is the risk of violence or immediate harm to one of the parties or the child;
• Where there is risk of removal of a child;
• Apprehension orders;
• Initial Custody Hearings
• First appearance after apprehension, and;
• Mandatory reviews or show causes under the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act, Protection of Children Abusing Drugs Act, Protection of Sexually Exploited Children Act, Mandatory Drug Testing and Disclosure Act, and Mental Health Act;
• Warrants, and
• Emergency Protection Orders
• Family Pre-Trial Conference and Child protection Case Management Meetings and will be conducted by telephone unless adjourned.
All Civil matters, including trials, chamber list applications and pre-trial conferences that are scheduled to be heard prior to May 22, 2020 are adjourned sine die (indefinitely). If counsel or litigants feels their matter is urgent they are to contact the clerk’s office who will refer to a Judge to determine the urgency.
Lethbridge Provincial Court (403)381-5224
Medicine Hat Provincial Court (403)529-8644
Effective immediately the Court will only file urgent/time sensitive documents:
• Civil Claims with a limitation period/date that is about to expire
• Applications and Affidavits where extending time for service of a Civil Claim that will expire prior to May 22nd, 2020.
• Dispute notes and other time sensitive pleadings
• Notices of Appeal
• Applications that are of an emergent nature ie: set aside a judgment where collection of proceedings have commenced, landlord-tenant matters where safety is an issue.
Please note, the Court will determine if the application will be filed and if and when the hearing will be set.